Home Home

Dealing With a Really, Really Annoying N97 Bug

October 6, 2009 in Nokia Randomness

On one hand, it’s nice to see that one of my earlier posts, The Definitive N97 Bug List is bursting with activity. On the other, that can’t be good news for the N97, or for Nokia, since it means people are having lots of problems.

If the comments are anything to go by, I’ve been lucky. Other users have reported random crashes/hangs/reboots, alarms that go off later than they should, battery life issues, specific problems with apps like Facebook, and other fun stuff. It’s interesting to note, though, that many of these issues are from non-NAM versions of the N97.

But this post is about one specific issue that I think deserves its own post because it’s so absurdly ridiculous.

I have a default ringtone that I use for all callers, and a number of ringtones that I use for specific contacts. The default ringtone is NOT the Nokia ringtone, it’s a nice, soothing piano tune. Unfortunately, my N97 has decided to, roughly 90% of the time, play the standard Nokia tune whenever ANYONE calls, despite all of my changes. The other 10% of the time, it will play the correct ringtone and then laugh. (I guess this is revenge for always thinking the Nokia tune was one of the cheesiest melodies ever)

This problem started appearing after I installed the v12 firmware. I’m also not the only user with the problem, although I do regret previously reading people’s comments with the same problem and thinking “well, that doesn’t happen to MY N97…”

There is some good news on the horizon. A new v20 firmware has been confirmed by a number of sources, and even though there’s no official release date, there’s a lot of talk and speculation about it coming sometime in October, and possibly sometime soon.

I do, however, still think that the N97 is a very capable phone despite a number of problems and a sub-par user interface.

***

Tags

,

daClaus
10/13/2009
2:54 am

Does this also happen when you copy your ringtone on c:? I always copy my background images and sounds to C: and newer had this issue.

ang
10/15/2009
12:52 am

Yep, I copied some ringtones to the C: phone memory drive and still had the same problem.

Got Something To Say?


nokia phone blog: version 5

Subscribe!The Nokia Phone Blog is about mobile phones, MeeGo, S60, the wireless industry, and now Windows Phone.
Subscribe here.  RSS, Atom
Email me at cary (at) nokiaphoneblog.com.

The Blog

28

Featured


142

Mobile Phone Software


152

Nokia Phone Accessories


134

Nokia Phone Deals


303

Nokia Phone News


122

Nokia Phone Previews


50

Nokia Phone Reviews


21

Nokia Phone Tips and Tricks


63

Nokia Randomness


20

Other Mobile Phones


351

Wireless Industry News


Current Phone Prices, Courtesy of PhoneMatchUp!

PhoneMatchup Sony Xperia TX: $516.77
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100: $639.00
HTC J: $598.88
Sony Xperia SL: $388.85
Nokia Lumia 900: $419.98

More Sites By Me

randomlygifted

angbox


My personal blog.
 
PhoneMatchup

PhoneMatchup


An eBay cell phone comparison shopping/price monitoring project. Buy your next cell phone through PhoneMatchup and save!
 
randomlygifted

randomlygifted


Let randomlygifted find you the perfect (random) gift ideas.
 
MyDealSpy

MyDealSpy


The greatest deal aggregator that has ever existed. Okay, I'm a little biased here.